Dental hygiene is directly proportional to happiness. Children with better oral hygiene are much happier and healthier than children with dental complications. Unfortunately, many parents give their children’s oral health low priority because they think that they will eventually lose their baby teeth but what they fail to understand is that the dental structure depends entirely on how early oral hygiene is introduced.
How to Introduce Oral Hygiene to Your Children?
When it comes to maintaining good oral health, here are some things to keep in mind when maintaining your child’s oral health:
• It is essential to at brush for 2 minutes twice daily especially after your children eat sticky or sugary foods.
• Take them to the dentist twice a year to check for any tooth decay and avoid other tooth related complications.
• Limit their consumption of night time drink. It is better to choose water over milk or juice when they ask for it.
5 Benefits of Teaching Your Kids About Proper Oral Health Early On
1. It is crucial to inculcate the habit of at a very young age rather than teaching them habits when they become less receptive. Once it becomes a habit then this healthy attitude towards dental hygiene will last a lifetime.
2. It helps them get started with cleaning activity which develops as a habit over time
3. Prevent the spreading of disease causing germs.
4. It helps to get rid of habits like thumb sucking which can lead to bite problems in the future where the child might need orthodontic treatment.
5. It helps to get rid of cavities in the initial stage. Even one cavity left untreated can cause serious trouble to your child’s health.
Make Dental Hygiene Fun in The Following Ways:
• Let your children choose their toothbrush. They can pick their favorite color.
• There are tons of different flavors of kids’ toothpaste. Make the routine interesting by letting them pick their favorite flavour.
• Share information on dental hygiene in an interesting way with the help of videos or books.
• Do not give them unnecessary sugary treats when they stick to their dental routine. Reward them with fruit slices or a gold star.
Transformation from Baby Teeth to Adult Teeth
Baby teeth start coming out when they are somewhere between 4 to 7 months old. The first teeth to come in are the two bottom teeth. By the age of 3 most of the kids have 20 baby teeth. Children lose their baby teeth as early as 6 years or as late as 12 years. They have a mix of milk and adult teeth in this period. Discuss possible teeth problems with your dentist every time you visit with your child. Some kids need orthodontic treatment which will influence their facial structure as they grow. It is not uncommon for babies to get into the habit of thumb sucking or a pacifier. But a prolonged habit or use of a pacifier can cause problems with the alignment of their teeth. If the habit persists even after your child is over the age of 4 it is important to talk to your dentist.
Always remember that children are concrete thinkers and it is better to visually educate rather than just lecturing them. It is crucial to establish proper dental hygiene as early as possible to ensure that your children’s permanent teeth remain healthy for their lifetimes.
Emily Taylor found the perfect fit for herself as the Online Marketing Manager at Thurman Orthodontics in Fresno CA as she believes that a great smile does more than just make a person look great – it makes them feel great as well. The power of a smile has always been a mystery to Emily and she loves researching and writing about it. She loves to write about everything to do with a healthy bite and a beautiful smile – whether is it ways to achieve it or the importance of it in the various aspects of life. What brings a big smile on Emily’s face is her family and surfing. She also likes to bake and her children and co-workers call her the cookie fairy!